Newbie NYC: What to Do in Hell’s Kitchen
Whether you are just visiting the area or are lucky enough to have an address at one of the red brick walkups that dominate this neighborhood, Hell’s Kitchen is full of things to do and see. Located west of 8th Avenue, between 34th and 57th street, there are museums, open air markets, nationally broadcasted TV shows and a plethora of restaurants all found within the 100 or so square blocks.
- Even if you can’t reserve highly-coveted online tickets to a studio taping of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart or The Colbert Report you can always wait in the stand-by lines for a chance at scoring a seat that day. Or stake your claim to fame by doing something crazy in front of the cameras that sweep the crowd outside.
- Who doesn’t love a great deal? The Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market has been named the best place to find furniture in 2010 by Time Out New York. Head over to West 39th Street between 9 AM – 6 PM on Saturday or Sunday for great deals and possible celebrity sightings!
- Looking for a fun and frisky way to whip yourself into shape? Single classes at NY Pole Dance on 52nd street range from $25-50 each and will teach you how to climb up, spin down and dance on the pole. While the name may make your grandmother blush, it’s not as risqué as it sounds: the website states that all participants must be fully clothed!
- Ride in the A-6 Cockpit Simulator, visit the Virtual Flight Zone, and tour the inside of the world’s fastest commercial airplane at the Intrepid Air and Space Museum.
- The Off-Broadway theatre complex, New World Stages, constructed on and under the site of the former Madison Square Garden, is where you can check out fun and contemporary performances across five stages or attend a karaoke night.
Looking for more New York City neighborhood guides? Check out more in our Newbie NYC section! And remember, if you just moved into the area and realized your new apartment won’t fit your couch, clothes, or cookware, we have a storage facility in Hell’s Kitchen that’s safe, close and convenient – not to mention the best rates in town. Give one of our storage advisors a call today at 212-Storage to see how we can help you maximize your Manhattan apartment space.