No wonder they call New York the city that never sleeps, there is so much to do and see! Wherever you move in NYC, there is always something exciting going on, and that’s especially true for the Upper West Side. New to Manhattan? Check out the some of the neighborhood delights from the city’s most famous attractions to hip bars and sweet bake shops.
A Newbie’s Guide to NYC: Upper West Side
- Whether you’re a history buff or just a rock fan, the New York Historical Society has something to offer everyone. Wander around the portrait galleries or check out the impressive Drawings collection, then finish up at the newest exhibit being shown till September. The Grateful Dead: Now Playing at the New York Historical Society follows the career and achievements of one of America’s most influential rock bands.
- As one of the few bars in Manhattan that still has a functioning foosball table, Jake’s Dilemma is an Upper West Side “landmark.” Don’t worry if you’re not a table soccer fan, Jake’s is the place to be to catch a local sports game on TV and they also have a great beer selection too – offering over 50 bottled varieties and 14 on tap.
- Stand in line for tickets for the “Shakespeare in the Park” productions at the Delacorte Theater – an annual summertime tradition where big name actors perform ole Willy’s best loved plays. Al Pacino is currently earning rave reviews as Shylock in the company’s production of The Merchant of Venice. Enter their online ticketing lottery daily before 1pm for a chance to see what all the hype is about – without waiting in line!
- Calling all newbies with a sweet tooth, you won’t be missing Mom’s apple pie for long! Check out the exceptional kosher bakery Crumbs where cupcakes are their specialty, and boy do they know how to whip up a batch of these handmade tiny desserts! With more than 50 varieties baked daily, from decadent fudge chocolate chip to traditional vanilla sprinkle, Crumbs is a reTreat to a world of deliciousness!
- Clo Wine Bar is a tech-savvy wine bar that epitomizes New York chic. The sleek and modern design is the perfect sanctuary for relaxing with friends. Interactive wine lists are available on the touch screen tables – a great 21st Century update to the wine selection process.
Looking for more? We’ll be publishing regular neighborhood guides in our Newbie NYC section so keep checking back! And remember, if you just moved and realized your new apartment won’t fit everything you brought, we have a storage facility in the Upper West Side that’s safe, close and convenient – with the best rates in town.