This year’s U.S. Open Tennis Championships kick off August 29th in Flushing Meadows, New York. While we’re undoubtedly pumped for the 2011 matches, we wonder…will they be as exciting as the 2010 U.S. Open?
Our Favorite Memorable Moments from the 2010 U.S. Open:
- Venus Williams’ Outfits: This Williams sister is known for her court fashion as well as her tennis skills. We loved the bright fireworks-themed outfit she wore during one of her singles matches, meant to be “about New York.”
- Mysterious Disappearances: The media had questions when Serena Williams, then the No. 1 ranked women’s player in the world, claimed an injury and pulled out of the 2010 U.S. Open games. The NY Times declared the injury needed “explanation.”
- Preserving the Gentleman’s Game: “Tennis hooligans” at one match were banned from the stadium after brawling over some inappropriate language.
- “Spanish Armada” Jokes: The 2010 U.S. Open set a record for number of players at a Grand Slam event (9), including top-ranked player and reigning champion Rafael Nadal.
- Bhangra Dancing: Some audience members really get into the Fan Cams. Oh, and Andrea Petkovic busts a move, too.
If watching these tennis legends play in New York next week inspires you to pick up a racket yourself, we’ve got excellent sports equipment storage options for your gear – whether you need room for extra rackets, tennis balls, or last season’s tennis whites. For rates as low as $29/month, just give us a call at 212-STORAGE!