So you’re engaged! Ready to start the next phase of your life with that amazing person that has entered your life. And you’re in New York City, where so many romantic stories are born. Of course romance is one thing, practical matters are another. With a little help from a New York City Wedding Checklist you’ll be on your way to getting ready for your big day!
New York City Wedding Checklist
As we enter the wedding season in New York City, here’s a simple checklist to help you along the way:
- First things first, you’re engaged – Enjoy the moment!
- Share the good news with family and close friends
- Set the Date – tis’ the season, but why not consider your options? A year is usually enough time to plan. Which season? Which day? Do you have a special day? Prioritize and also confer with the wedding party or even call some wedding locations and vendors for ideas.
- Save the Date – consider mailing Save the Date invitations 4-6 months before your wedding date. This ensures smooth planning from the onset! Personalized stationery always stands out.
- Choose a Theme & Colors
- Create a Budget Worksheet Draft – before you even set a number start with items on the left including rings, flowers, ceremony, reception, music, attire, photography, transportation, stationery and swag. Then try to estimate costs next to each item and sum up for your total budget.
The best way not to overspend is to keep your budget flexible…splurge on some items and skimp on others, while keeping the total budget consistent.
- Choose your guests – if you feel bad about not being able to invite everyone you’d like to, consider having a smaller private engagement party.
- Research Venues & Caterers – start early, especially if you have a special date. Arrange for tastings.
- Appoint a Wedding Planner – ask your married friends for recommendations
- Select a Wedding Officiant – Check out this article on Manhattan’s new Wedding Bureau
- Pick the Wedding Party and Ushers
- Shop for your Dream Dress & Other Attire – bring your friends and make this fun!
- Meet with Florists – you’ll find some inspiration here for your New York weddings floral bouquets
- Choose Musicians/DJ
- Select your Special Event Photographer
- Start Planning your Honeymoon!
- Create your own Wedding webpage – The Knot is a popular site where you can set up your personal wedding page
- Make or Order Your Swag (Stuff We All Get)
- Arrange for Wedding Cake Tastings
- Create your Wedding Registry – here are some items to consider for your registry.
- Kitchenware – china, silverware, glassware, pots/pans, knife sets, bakeware, kitchen machines (food processor, blender, coffee maker etc.), serving dishes, linens
- Bathroom – towels, bathroom sets, bathrobes
- Bedroom – Sheets, pillows, lamps
- Camping gear
- Board games
And if you need help with storing any of your wedding gifts in New York City, we’re here for you.
This should be a good start to prepare for your wedding in New York City! Having a checklist makes it easier to make sure you’re covering all the steps and helps with managing your time. Wedding season in New York City is a romantic time of year. But there may be times when you feel overwhelmed, so just remember that help is never very far in this big city.